Internet Safety Information
As you begin to experiment with social networking, it is essential to understand safety issues that may come up. Rutherford County Schools advises the following:
- Many social websites say that users must be 13 years of age or older before joining.
- Parents should be aware of any social networking accounts you create.
- Students should share passwords with parents or guardians.
- Privacy settings should be set to private for all social websites you join (Facebook, iChat, Myspace, Skype, etc.).
- You should not share private information (full name, phone number, address, age, pictures that identity your location).
- Do not accept friend request from strangers.
- Immediately report any inappropriate contact to an adult at home and school.
The following links will assist you in changing privacy settings on Facebook. There are three videos (click next to go to the next video). Currently Facebook is blocked, so you will need to view these videos at home. Below the link are instructions that include Skype privacy instructions.
Skype Privacy Instructions (Click to download)
RCS also has a series of safety video on our Moodle site which is accessible by students and parents. This collection of 17 videos covers many important topics regarding internet safety with topics such as predators, cyber-bullying, and identity theft. Feel free to visit our Moodle site at the following address: