Thursday, October 5, 2023
The Rutherford County Board of Education ("Board") values parental involvement and respects the rights of parents in the education and upbringing of their children. North Carolina General Statute ("G.S.") § 115C-76.25, enacted Wednesday, August 16, 2023, enumerates specific parental rights, and a variety of established Board policies already address many of those enumerated rights. The Board is currently revising seven established policies to further address those rights in response to the new law:
- Policy 1310/4002, Parental Involvement
- Policy 3210, Parental Inspection of and Objection to Instructional Materials
- Policy 3540, Comprehensive Health Education Program
- Policy 4335, Criminal Behavior
- Policy 4720, Surveys of Students
- Policy 6120, Student Health Services
- Policy 7300, Staff Responsibilities
The Board seeks input from parents, teachers, administrators, and community partners regarding the proposed policy revisions. The proposed revisions are available in the document attached below.
Individuals are invited to submit written comments about the proposed policy revisions via U.S. Mail or email delivery to:
Dr. Renee Collins
Rutherford County Schools
382 West Main Street
Forest City, NC 28043
All written comments must be received no later than 5:00 PM on Friday, November 3, 2023.